(608) 279-4112 [email protected]
Auto Accident Support

Mission Statement

We wanted to create an independent site with honest answers.  We do NOT accept money from anyone.  Any company listed on this site was the result of numerous referrals from the feedback of thousands of injured people, doctors or other attorneys.  Our team has an average of over 20 years of experience dealing with attorneys, doctors, patients and insurance companies.  We wanted to create a place where people can get real answers without all the hype or sales pitches.

How To Report a Traffic Accident?

The first question people ask is “should I file a report” or “do I have to file a report?”  The law states that any accident with over $1,000 damage to any one vehicle must be reported.   You must also report an accident with $200 or more damage to government property, or if there was any injury or death involved.

Additionally, should you want to file a claim with the insurance company, or if the accident turns into a legal matter, then you will definitely want a report.

The law enforcement agencies that responded to the accident will usually make and file the accident report for you.

If the police were not called, you can contact your local police department and they can send you a form to report the accident yourself.

The accident report is considered to be the official written document which records the facts and circumstances surrounding any traffic accident.  It will include the date and time of the accident, description of the vehicles, name and address of the drivers and all the passengers, names of witnesses and names of insurance companies.

If a report has been filed already, you may contact the local police department that responded to the scene or you can contact:

Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Crash Records Unit
P.O. Box 7919
Madison, WI 53707-7919

Crash Records Unit (608) 266-8753